The Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL) is a cooperation project of the University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and the University of Bayreuth, Germany. It is part of the Centres of African Excellence Programme which is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
The TGCL offers a structured LLM study programme at the University of Dar es Salaam School of Law and trains aspiring young East African lawyers, qualifying them for leading positions in the region and beyond.
Scholarships are offered through two different funding schemes whose selection process is linked:
• 1. TGCL Scholarships: Funded by the German Federal Foreign Office through German
Academic Exchange Service
• 2. In-Country/In-Region Scholarships: In-Country/In-Region Programme is funded by
the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (affiliated
to DAAD Nairobi; separate DAAD Nairobi regional office advert)
- Application Requirements for TGCL Scholarships
TGCL invites applications from candidates from the East African Community Partner States (i.e. Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda) for LLM studies starting on 1 November 2022.
The minimum requirement for admission to the LLM programme is a Bachelor’s degree in law (LLB) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or its equivalent from a recognised higher learning institution.
The language of instruction at the University of Dar es Salaam School of Law is English. Those who are not conversant with it should not apply.
Candidates who have received their last University degree more than six years ago at the time of the application can be admitted as self-paying students but do not qualify for scholarships.
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to
participate in the programme.
- Content of the Programme
The candidates will pursue a LLM programme on East African Community Law and Regional Integration Law. The programme takes one year of full-time attendance.
On successful completion of the programme, a student will obtain a Master of Laws degree from the University of Dar es Salaam.
- Research Agenda of the TGCL
There is a significant research component to the LLM programme in the form of a dissertation. All LLM dissertations must focus on selected aspects of East African Community law (EAC law), if possible in relation to the student’s national law.
The TGCL will award scholarships to applicants from EAC Partner States only, which will cover:
- the tuition fees for the LLM programme at the TGCL
- a cost of living stipend of 2,880 EUR for one year
- an accommodation subsidy of 360 EUR for one year
- a reasonable health insurance for one year
- a research allowance lump-sum of 460 EUR
Information on the in-region/country scholarships coverage are provided on the DAAD Nairobi regional
office advert also available on TGCL website
- Mode of Application
All applicants must apply at both portals (TGCL and DAAD portal).
a. TGCL Scholarships (https://form.jotform.com/212423944360350)
The applicant must register online through the TGCL website using the online application formprovided, and submit the following documents electronically:
• a signed curriculum vitae (please use the Europass CV template,
• a one-page letter of motivation
• all relevant certificates (birth certificate, secondary education academic certificates, academic transcripts, certificates of legal or other professional education (or provisional results for applicants who would have just completed their LLB studies); in the case of documents not written in English, an official translation should be attached.
• a recent passport size photo
• the data page of the passport or any other proof of identity
• a letter of recommendation by a University teacher
• a release letter from your employer (if you are employed)
• a proposal of the intended research (please see the annexed guidelines)
6. Deadline for Applications
The application deadline for both portals is Wednesday December 15, 2021.
Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
- Application for Admission to the University of Dar es Salaam
This Call for Applications is not for admission to the University but for scholarships offered by, the TGCL. Admissions to the University of Dar es Salaam are made by the University administration separately and independently. Scholarships can be granted only to candidates admitted for studies at the University of Dar es Salaam. TGCL will inform successful applicants early enough to allow them to apply for admission to the University of Dar es Salaam. They will have to follow up postgraduate admission advertisements at the University of Dar es Salaam website and apply for admission as soon as the same is posted.
Dr Benedict T. Mapunda, TGCL Coordinator
Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL)
University of Dar es Salaam School of Law
Phone: +255 22 278 1422
Postal Address: P.O. Box 35093, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Physical Address of the TGCL Office: Mikocheni Campus (former NIC College/Bima Campus –opposite
Mikocheni B Police Post), Royal Mushi Street No. 13, Mikocheni B, Dar es Salaam